Monday, November 4, 2019

Not What They Seem IV

This is the fourth in a series of posts that explore postal history items with the 24 cent 1861 stamp that are not entirely genuine.  This post last edited Nov 8, 2019.

The first four posts in my "Not What They Seem" series are actually re-writes of pages that I hosted some years ago on my own website.  The good news is that I still find what I wrote to be largely accurate.  The even better news is that I can actually add more detail with more experience and knowledge at my disposal.  I do not pretend to know it all - that is for certain.  But, I at least have a fighting chance to determine when something isn't quite right.

The following cover is one of many Clerk of Court covers that started appearing more frequently with the event of bidding sites like ebay.  Unfortunately, the method of obtaining many of these items was not always 'above board' to begin with. Thus, it is no big stretch for individuals to modify the rattiest items in hopes of making more of what they have.

Is this a domestic 8 times half ounce rate cover?

Eight times domestic rate cover?


I was not able to view this cover in person and was unwilling to pay for the privilege. There is an outside chance that this cover might be good, but I think it very unlikely.
  1. Strong indentation at top of cover above stamp doesn't appear to affect stamp.
  2. The portion of the cancel on the cover appears to be painted on.
  3. There is a shadow that appears to be inconsistent around the stamp. In other words, the shadow isn't in perfect alignment with the cover.
  4. The cover is in terrible shape, yet the stamp appears to be in very nice condition.
  5. The ink consistency & shape changes on the top right third of the cancel as opposed to the rest of the cancel.
Given a chance to inspect this item under UV or black lighting, I would bet one would find a different ink was used to extend and strengthen the grid cancellation. The tip off for me on this item was the seemingly excellent condition of the stamp, one that is notorious for reacting to adverse conditions. At the least, I would have expected a dirtier or more tired appearance.

A quick note about scan quality.  This scan is an older jpg file, which is a 'lossy' file format.  The quality has degraded over time (essentially).   Since the item is not in my possession I can not re scan the object.

Conclusion: The size of the envelope, the destination & the condition indicate that it certainly could have carried a heavier load. However, it seems clear that this particular stamp did not originate on the cover. It is most likely that the original stamp fell off at some point, given the condition of the item.

No comments:

Post a Comment